From the comfort of your own home!
There's nothing like spending summer evenings outdoors with friends and family. Perhaps you’re cooking up something on the BBQ, playing lawn games, or just relaxing in the fresh air, extending your outdoor time is what this time of year is about.
One easy way to transform your garden after dark and squeeze in as much extra time outside as possible, is to install outdoor electrics. So that when the sun goes in you don’t have too!
Garden electricals may seem relatively easy to install yourself, but without the correct know-how, your outdoor sanctuary could quickly become a danger zone.
TOP TIP: Make sure everything is properly installed and weatherproofed before turning on your electrics - nobody wants a short circuit in their garden!
Here are some more quick tips for safely using outdoor electrics:
- Use extension leads that are rated for outdoor use. Regular indoor extension leads can degrade quickly, especially when exposed to moisture, and may pose a shock or fire hazard. Ouch!
- Water and electricity don't mix! Keep electrical leads and outlets away from pools, sprinklers, and other sources of water.
- Switch off all electrics before adjusting or cleaning them. General electricity safety rules apply even in an open-air space, such as your garden. Take all the precautions you usually would.
For even more on electrical safety around the home, check out our blog, ‘How to Inspect Your Home for Electrical Hazards’.
It may be tempting for you to try your hand at some DIY, but there is more than one reason why it's best to leave electrical work to the professionals:
- They're fully qualified. Your mind can be at ease knowing the work will be completed by an experienced electrician.
- They have the right tools. You don’t want any nasty surprises when it comes to your electrics! Don’t let it end up being one of those jobs you start, but don’t get around to finishing because your toolbox is missing an important bit of kit!
< Blog list
- Safety. Electricity can be dangerous for you and your family if the wrong wires are left exposed or worse, not grounded correctly.
Outdoor electrical installations can be subject to weather conditions which can make them more challenging (and dangerous) than indoor installations. So, it's important for your safety, and that of your family, to make sure that everything is installed correctly. That’s the serious bit over!
While you’re planning on having your HandyExpert there, why not book a full safety and inspection report on your home? Two birds, one stone and all that!
An inspection report will flag issues with any of the electrics at your property, giving you the opportunity to get them rectified before they cause any problems. It can also highlight any potential areas where your home’s electrical system could be improved or made more efficient. Saving you money by reducing your energy consumption.
Knowing your home’s electrical system is safe and compliant with current regulations provides you with priceless peace of mind. And if you decide to put your house on the market, that full inspection report acts as a bonus selling feature! 💰
Remember, your HandyExpert will be on hand to offer any support and guidance on the report’s findings and should a future visit to your home be necessary, it can be booked there and then, saving you one less headache.
Whatever you need doing around the house, come rain or shine, there’s a HandyExpert for the job. Book today!
Use the form to tell us about the job or call us if you'd prefer to talk us through it.
Send us your job spec with photos if you have any or call us on 0330 912 2323 if you prefer.
We check the details and get to work on your quote. If more information is needed, we'll come straight back to you.
Your quote will soon be sent to you. If we need to see the job in more detail a video quote or free visit can be arranged.